New Jersey has a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to driving while intoxicated. DWI charges are taken seriously and the consequences can follow you throughout your life. As a result, it is important to understand what constitutes an underage DWI and the associated penalties. Read on to learn more.
What is an Underage DWI?
If a driver over the age of 21 is pulled over with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or above, he or she will likely face DWI charges. But, if an underage driver is pulled over with a BAC of just .01%, he or she can face serious consequences.
What are the Penalties for an Underage DWI?
The penalties for a DWI will depend upon your BAC and your prior convictions. If you are underage and you receive a first-offense DWI, you may face:
- A driver’s license suspension between 30 and 90 days
- 15 to 30 days of community service
- Completion of alcohol education programs at the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- Various fees and fines
What do I do if I am Facing Charges for an Underage DWI?
A DWI is a serious charge. When you are pulled over, it is important to comply. For example, failing to take a breathalyzer test can further increase your penalties. If you are pulled over and charged with an underage DWI, you will want to contact a skilled criminal defense attorney right away. There are various defenses when it comes to a DWI charge, for example:
- The initial traffic stop was conducted illegally by the law enforcement officer
- Failure to abide by the 20-minute rule
- Issues with field sobriety tests, including that the officer failed to read all of the instructions, the officer did not demonstrate the test, the officer failed to inform you that you can remove your high heels, and that you had health issues that inhibit your ability to successfully take the field sobriety test.
If you are facing charges for an underage DWI, you will need the help of an experienced and dedicated criminal defense attorney. Our firm will explore all possible avenues of defense. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your defense.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.