If you have a criminal record, your life will be impacted in a number of ways. For example, the majority of job applications ask applicants if they have ever been convicted of a crime. If asked, you will have to respond with “yes,” which can reduce your chances of getting the job. Luckily, you may be eligible for expungement. Expungement means that your record will be sealed from the public. It will not be erased, but it will only be accessible to certain members of law enforcement. Read on to learn more about the process of expungement in New Jersey.
Do I Qualify for Expungement?
Not all crimes are eligible for expungement. That being said, you may be eligible if:
- You were arrested but never charged with a crime.
- You were arrested for a juvenile offense.
- You have 3 or fewer disorderly persons convictions and one felony conviction.
- You have 4 disorderly persons offenses and 0 felonies.
What Crimes Cannot Be Expunged?
Unfortunately, in New Jersey, not every crime can be expunged from your record. Some of the crimes that are ineligible for expungement in the state of New Jersey are as follows:
- Selling a controlled substance
- Aggravated sexual assault
What is the Expungement Process in New Jersey?
The first step of the process is to meet with an experienced criminal defense attorney. From here, you and your attorney will need to:
- File the Petition for Expungement, the Order for Hearing, and the Expungement Order
- Write a cover letter detailing all of the documents the court will file
- Distribute copies of these files to any government agency that was involved in your case
- Attend the hearing to obtain a decision on the expungement petition
If you have a criminal record, reach out to our firm today to discuss your options with a skilled and dedicated criminal defense attorney. We will work to have your record expunged and we will walk you through the process each step of the way. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin the process.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.