In New Jersey, cybercrimes are taken very seriously. As a result, it is important to know what these crimes entail and the penalties they carry. Read on to learn more about cybercrime in New Jersey.
What Constitutes Cybercrime?
The most common examples of cybercrime in New Jersey include:
- Credit card fraud
- making false statements to obtain a credit card
- credit card theft
- receiving a lost or mistakenly delivered credit card and using it
- selling or buying a credit card from anyone other than the issuer
- obtaining a credit card to secure a debt
- counterfeiting a credit card
- signing a credit card without authorization
- fraudulent use of a credit card
- using a credit card knowing it was revoked, forged, or expired
- receiving anything of value as result of credit card fraud
- Internet sex crimes
- Sending indecent material to a minor
- Promoting a sexual performance by a child
- Possessing a sexual performance by a child
- Identity theft
- Impersonating or falsely assuming the identity of an individual in order to enrich yourself or defraud someone else
- Pretending to represent a person or organization for your benefit or to defraud someone
- Obtaining a person’s identifying information so you can assume that identity to attain some benefit or service, avoid payment of a debt or other legal obligation, or avoid prosecution for a crime by using the victim’s identity.
What are the Penalties for Cybercrime in New Jersey?
Depending on the crime you have committed, you may face the following:
- Fourth-degree crime – up to 18 months imprisonment and up to $10,000 in fines
- Third-degree crime – 3 to 5 years imprisonment and up to $15,000 in fines
- Second-degree crime – 5 to 10 years imprisonment and up to $150,000 in fines
- First-degree crime – 10 to 20 years imprisonment and up to $200,000 in fines
If you or a loved one is facing charges for cybercrime in New Jersey, reach out to our experienced firm today. We are here to advocate for you.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.