Many people assume DUIs are solely for driving while under the influence of alcohol. This is simply not true, and if you are someone who just received a drug DUI in New Jersey, you understand this. If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, please read on and reach out to our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney to learn more about how he can help you through the legal process.
What are the consequences for a first-offense drug DUI in New Jersey?
Do not think that for a first offense, you will simply get a “slap on the wrist,” so to speak. New Jersey courtrooms take driving under the influence very seriously, which is why you may face the following penalties:
- Up to 30 days in jail
- Up to a 12-month license suspension
- $1,000 surcharge every year for 3 years
- A $100 Drunk Driving Fund fee
- A $75 Neighborhood Services Fund fee
- The installation and use of an ignition interlock device
- A $300-$500 fine
- Up to 48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- A $100 fee for the Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund
What are the penalties for a second drug DUI?
If this is your second time entering the court system for a DUI, you will face an even more aggressive prosecutor this time around. Make no mistake–you will need an experienced attorney on your side. Below are the penalties for a second drug DUI:
- A 2-year loss of license
- $500-$1,000 fine
- Ignition interlock device for up to 3 years after license restoration
- Additional fees and fines
- Up to 90 days in jail
- 30 days of mandatory community service, though you will have 60 days of community service if the offense
- took place in a school zone
Will I lose my license forever for a third drug DUI?
For a third or subsequent DUI offense, you risk losing your license for a very long time, if not forever. For a third drug DUI in New Jersey, you may face the following consequences:
- A 10-year license suspension
- Various fines and fees
- Mandatory participation in the Intoxicated Drivers Resource Center
- Mandatory installation and use of an Ignition Interlock Device
- A $1,000 fine
- Up to 180 days in jail
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves in our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.