What do I do if I am Falsely Accused of a Crime in New Jersey?

A crime can follow you for the rest of your life. For example, a criminal record can impact your ability to pursue higher education. It can also affect your ability to secure gainful employment, certain housing opportunities, and child custody arrangements. It is important that you do not let a crime you were falsely accused of ruin your life. Read on to learn more about what to do if you are falsely accused of a crime in New Jersey.

What do I do if I am falsely accused of a crime in New Jersey?

Contact an attorney: The first step you should take is to contact an attorney. An experienced criminal defense attorney will advocate for you and work to prove your innocence.

Take your attorney’s advice: Your attorney is working to do what is best for you. As a result, it is important that you follow his or her advice carefully.

Gather evidence: If you have evidence that you did not commit this crime, it is important to collect it. For example, you may want to take screenshots of text conversations. Some photos on your phone may be stamped with a time and location which can be useful as well. An attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, such as security camera footage to help prove your innocence.

Obtain witness contacts: If anyone can provide you with an alibi, be sure to obtain their contact information and let your attorney know. Additionally, if someone witnessed the crime and has any information, they can play a key role in proving your innocence.

A false accusation can have devastating consequences. Our firm is here to fight for you. Reach out today to discuss your case with an experienced and dedicated criminal defense attorney. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your case.

Contact our experienced New Jersey firm

Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Why Might a DUI Breath Test Be Wrong in New Jersey?
  •  What is New Jersey’s Implied Consent Law?
  •  Why Should I Avoid Social Media After a DUI in New Jersey?