If you were charged with identity theft in New Jersey, you will likely face severe life-altering consequences. This is why it is important that you have an experienced criminal defense attorney at your side.
How does New Jersey define identity theft?
Several actions can constitute identity theft in New Jersey. Some of the most typical instances of identity theft include the following:
- Impersonating or falsely assuming the identity of an individual in order to enrich yourself or defraud someone else.
- Pretending to represent a person or organization for your benefit or to defraud someone.
- Obtaining a person’s identifying information so you can assume that identity to:
- Attain some benefit or service
- Avoid payment of a debt or other legal obligation
- Avoid prosecution for a crime by using the victim’s identity.
If you were charged with identity theft in the state of New Jersey, it is in your best interest to reach out to our skilled legal team. Our criminal defense attorneys are prepared to fight for you and your future.
What are the penalties of identity theft in New Jersey?
As technological advancements have increased, so have instances of identity theft in the state of New Jersey. As a result of this, New Jersey has become more stringent on identity theft laws in recent years. If you were charged with identity theft, depending on what you have done, you will likely face the following:
- If you have stolen less than $500, there is only one victim, and it is the offender’s first offense, this is a fourth-degree crime. This can end in up to 18 months in prison and a fine of up to $10,000
- If the amount that was stolen is between $500 and $750,000, or there are two to four victims involved, this is a third-degree crime, potentially resulting in three to five years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.
- If more than $75,000 are stolen or there are five or more victims, this level of theft is considered a second-degree crime, leading to five to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $150,000.
No matter how severe, if you have been charged with identity theft, you will need a skilled criminal defense attorney on your side. Contact our firm today to discuss your case with our dedicated legal team.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.