There are few charges more devastating to a family than being accused of child endangerment. New Jersey courts are extremely strict when it comes to enforcing these laws, which is why if you are being charged, you must retain the services of an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney today. Please read on and reach out to our firm to learn more about child endangerment charges and how we can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the child endangerment laws in New Jersey?
New Jersey’s statute for child endangerment laws is as follows:
- “Any person having a legal duty for the care of a child who has assumed responsibility for the care of a child who engages in sexual conduct which would impair or debauch the morals of the child is guilty of a crime of the second degree. Any other person who engages in conduct or who causes harm as described in this paragraph to a child is guilty of a crime of the third degree.”
- “Any person having a legal duty for the care of a child or who has assumed responsibility for the care of a child who causes the child harm that would make the child an abused or neglected child as defined in R.S. 9:6-1, R.S. 9:6-3 and P.L. 1974, c. 119, § 1 is guilty of a crime of the second degree. Any other person who engages in conduct or who causes harm as described in this paragraph to a child is guilty of a crime of the third degree.”
What happens if I am convicted of child endangerment in New Jersey?
If you are convicted of child endangerment in New Jersey, you face a variety of penalties that can alter the course of your life forever. They come in three degrees and are as follows:
- Third-Degree: Up to 5 years in prison
- Second-Degree: Up to 10 years in state prison.
- First-Degree: If you are convicted of child endangerment in the first degree, you may spend 20 years in state prison, and face a fine of up to $250,000.
No matter your circumstances, if you are facing child endangerment charges in New Jersey, you must reach out to our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will fight for your rights today.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves in our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.