In New Jersey, driving under the influence of drugs is taken very seriously. If you are charged with a drug DUI, it is important to reach out to a skilled criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Read on to learn more about drugged driving in New Jersey.
What Are the Penalties For Drugged Driving in New Jersey?
If you are charged with drugged driving for the first time, you may face the following penalties:
- You may spend up to 30 days in jail
- You may lose your license for up to 12 months.
- You may have to install the ignition interlock device
- You will have to pay up to a $500 fine
- You will have to spend up to 48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center
- A $100 fee for the Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund
- You will have to pay a $1,000 surcharge every year for 3 years
- A $100 Drunk Driving Fund fee
- A $75 Neighborhood Services Fund fee
What Happens if I am Charged With a Second Drug DUI?
For a second drug DUI, you can expect to face even harsher consequences, as the court will now treat you as a repeat offender. The penalties for a second drug DUI are as follows:
- You will lose your license for up to 2 years.
- You will have to pay up to a $1,000 fine
- You will most likely have to install and use the ignition interlock device for up to 3 years after license restoration
- You will have to spend up to 90 days in jail.
- You will have to spend 30 days doing community service.
Will I go to Jail for a Third Drug DUI?
If this is your third drug DUI, you are looking at very serious consequences. The penalties for a third drug DUI in New Jersey are as follows:
- You may lose your license for 10 years.
- You will have to participate in the Intoxicated Drivers Resource Center.
- You will have to install and use the Ignition Interlock Device.
- You will have to pay a $1,000 fine.
- You may spend up to 180 days in jail.
If you are charged with a drug DUI, contact our firm to discuss your case with a dedicated criminal defense attorney. We will explore all possible avenues of defense.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.