Though in recent years, the overall nationwide attitude towards marijuana has shifted, there are still strict laws against the illegal use, sale, or cultivation of the drug in New Jersey. This means that a marijuana charge can still bring serious consequences. If you are someone who is facing a drug charge in the state of New Jersey, here are some of the questions you may have regarding your legal options going forward:
What happens if you are caught in the possession of marijuana in New Jersey?
Those charged with the possession of marijuana may face the following penalties:
- 50 grams or less: A disorderly person penalty, up to 6 months in jail, and a $1,000 fine
- More than 50 grams: This is a crime, and you face up to 1.5 years in jail and a $25,000 fine
Those caught in the possession of marijuana within 1000 feet of a school may also be required to complete 100 hours of community service as part of their sentence.
What happens if I am caught selling marijuana in New Jersey?
If you are caught either in possession with intent to sell or caught in the act of selling, you may face the following consequences:
- Less than 1 ounce: Up to 1.5 years in jail, a $25,000 fine
- More than 1 ounce, but less than 5 pounds: Up to 5 years in jail, a $25,000 fine
- Between 5 pounds and 25 pounds: Up to 10 years in jail, a $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds: Up to 20 years in jail, a $300,000 fine
- The distribution of marijuana within 1000 feet of a school or school bus: Up to-5 years in jail, $150,000 fine
- The distribution of marijuana to a pregnant woman: Potential sentence doubling
What happens if I am caught growing marijuana?
The consequences of cultivating or growing marijuana in the state of New Jersey are as follows:
- 1 ounce, but less than 5 pounds (less than 10 plants): Up to 5 years in jail, $25,000 fine
- Between 5 and 25 pounds (10, but less than 50 plants): Up to 10 years in jail, $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds, or 50+ plants: Up to 20 years in jail, $300,000 fine
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves in our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.