New Jersey has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. In order to legally obtain a gun in New Jersey, there is a strict process you must follow. Read on to learn more.
Am I Eligible to Obtain a Firearms Permit?
The first thing to determine is whether you are eligible to obtain a firearms permit. You will need a firearms permit in order to purchase your gun. You cannot get a firearms permit if you fall into the following categories:
- Those convicted of aggravated assault, arson, burglary, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, sexual assault
- Those committed for mental disorder unless there is satisfactory proof they no longer suffer from a disorder that handicaps them from handling a firearm
- Those convicted of the unlawful use, possession, or sale of controlled dangerous substances
- Minors under the age of 18
- Those who are drug dependent
- Those who have physical defects that make them unsafe to handle a firearm
What Documents Do I Need to Apply for a Gun Permit?
In order to apply for a gun permit, you will need to provide the following information:
- Two character references
- An executed Consent for Mental Health Records Search
- A passport
- Your driver’s license
You will also need to get fingerprinted, among other steps.
License to Carry
As stated before, New Jersey has strict gun laws. If you obtain a firearms permit and purchase a gun, you cannot legally carry this gun, as New Jersey is not an open-carry state. That being said, there are some exceptions. To carry your gun, you will need a license to carry. This license is difficult to obtain, but you can reach out to an experienced attorney for more information.
What Happens if My Permit is Denied?
If you have been denied a gun permit, you may need to appeal this decision. For example, this may occur if you have a criminal record from a mistake you made in the past. You may appeal the decision within 30 days, so it is best to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding firearms permits in New Jersey, contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.