Recently, President Biden has announced a number of executive actions to combat gun violence in the United States. As a result, it is important to know about New Jersey’s current gun laws. Read on to learn more.
How Can I Get a Gun Permit in New Jersey?
New Jersey has strict gun laws. This means that not everyone can own a firearm. In order to legally possess a firearm, you will need to obtain a permit to purchase. This does not mean that you can carry your gun. That is a separate permit, which is extremely difficult to obtain in the state of New Jersey.
What Documents Do I Need to Apply for a Gun Permit?
In order to apply for a gun permit, you will need to provide the following information:
- Two character references
- An executed Consent for Mental Health Records Search
- A passport
- Your driver’s license
What are Common Firearms Offenses?
Some of the most common firearms offenses in New Jersey are:
- Firearm possession without a valid permit
- Possession of a firearm that was stolen or unregistered
- Unlawful carry, either concealed or open
- Bringing weapons into New Jersey from another state, even if they are possessed legally in the state of origin
- Possession of an assault firearm or sawed-off shotgun
- Possession of an airsoft gun or a BB gun
What are the Consequences of a Firearm Offense?
As stated above, New Jersey has strict gun laws. This means that if you are charged with one of the above offenses, you may face the following consequences:
- Third-Degree Crimes: illegal possession of a rifle, shotgun, air gun or spring gun. A conviction can result in three to five years in jail.
- Second-Degree Crimes: illegal possession of a machine gun, handgun, or assault weapon. A conviction can result in five to ten years in jail.
If you or a loved one is facing gun charges in New Jersey, you will need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Our firm is here to advocate for you and explore all possible avenues of defense. Reach out today to discuss your case with a skilled and dedicated attorney.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.