Here at DeMarco & Associates, LLC, we understand that being charged with a marijuana-related crime does not make you a bad person. This is why we are fiercely committed to fighting on your behalf, through every step of the process, to ensure you can go on living the free, productive life you deserve. If you are ready to get started, please read on and reach out to our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney today to learn more about the consequences of marijuana-related charges and how we can help you fight them. Here are some of the questions you may have regarding the legal process going forward:
What are the legal penalties for marijuana possession in the state of New Jersey?
Though many states across the country have moved to legalize marijuana for recreational use, this has not yet happened in New Jersey, and if you are facing marijuana possession charges, you are up against some very serious penalties. You should understand that the penalty you face largely depends on the amount of marijuana you were caught in possession of. The penalties you may face are as follows:
- 50 grams or less: Disorderly person penalty, which may warrant up to 6 months in jail and a potential$1,000 fine.
- More than 50 grams: For possession of more than 50 grams of marijuana, you may face up to 1.5 years of jailtime, as well as a potential $25,000 fine.
What are the penalties for selling marijuana in the state of New Jersey?
If you are caught selling or distributing marijuana in the state of New Jersey, you will most likely face even harsher penalties. Furthermore, upon conviction, you will certainly obtain a criminal record which can impact your life for years down the road, including your ability to get certain jobs, live in certain areas, or even take out certain loans. The penalties for selling marijuana in New Jersey are as follows:
- Less than 1 ounce: Up to 1.5 years of incarceration as well as a potential $25,000 fine
- More than 1 ounce, less than 5 pounds: Up to 5 years of incarceration as well as a potential $25,000 fine
- Between 5-25 pounds: Up to 10 years in prison as well as a potential $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds: Up to 20 years in prison as well as a potential $300,000 fine
- Within 1,000 feet of a school or school bus: Up to 5 years of jailtime, as well as a potential $150,000 fine
- To a pregnant woman or a minor: You will most likely have your initial sentence doubled
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves in our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.