Car accidents happen. Even the most careful drivers have made mistakes. In some cases, accidents can be unavoidable. But, it is important to take responsibility. As a result, leaving the scene of an accident is a serious crime in New Jersey.
Leaving the scene after property damage
If you are involved in an accident that results in property damage and you leave the scene of the accident, you may face the following penalties:
- Jail: Drivers who leave the scene of an accident (in which no injuries occurred) can go to jail for up to 30 days upon conviction.
- Fines + surcharge: Leaving the scene of an accident involving only property damage carries a fine of $200 to $400 for a first offense. If this happens again, you will be considered a repeat offender, and your fines will increase. A second offense results in a fine of $400 to $600. In addition, New Jersey imposes a surcharge of $450 on drivers who accumulate six points on their license. An additional $75 is imposed for each point over six.
- Points: You can receive 2 points on your license for leaving the scene of an accident with no injuries.
- License Suspension: For accidents with only property damage, a driver who leaves the scene faces a mandatory suspension of up to 30 days.
Leaving the scene after injury/death
Leaving the scene after harming another individual is an incredibly serious offense. As a result, you may face the following:
- Prison: Leaving the scene of an accident where someone was injured or killed can result in up to 5 years in prison.
- License Suspension: You will likely have your license suspended for up to one year.
- Fines: You can face fines of up to $15,000.
- Points: New Jersey assigns 8 points for leaving the scene of an accident in which someone is hurt or killed.
If you are facing charges for leaving the scene of an accident, you will need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Reach out to our firm today to discuss your case. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your case.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.