New Jersey has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. As a result, it is important to be educated about these laws. New Jersey takes gun crimes very seriously, and these crimes can carry heavy penalties. If you are facing a weapons charge in New Jersey, you will want to retain the help of a skilled criminal defense attorney. Read on to learn more about gun crimes in New Jersey and their associated penalties.
How To Obtain a Permit?
If you are looking to apply for a gun permit, you will have to provide the following information:
- A passport
- Your driver’s license
- Two character references
- An executed Consent for Mental Health Records Search
Once you submit the following, the police will conduct a background check with the FBI to ensure you will not be a threat to individuals in New Jersey.
Common Gun Crimes in New Jersey
The state of New Jersey does not make it easy to legally possess a firearm. In order to purchase a firearm, you must obtain a permit. You will be required to obtain a separate permit to carry a firearm lawfully, but it is important to note that these are very rarely issued. Some of the most common weapons offenses that occur include:
- Firearm possession without a valid permit
- Possession of a firearm that was stolen or unregistered
- Unlawful carry, either concealed or open
- Bringing weapons into New Jersey from another state, even if they are possessed legally in the state of origin
- Possession of an assault firearm or sawed-off shotgun
- Possession of an airsoft gun or a BB gun
What are the Penalties?
New Jersey takes gun crimes seriously. As a result, the breakdown of firearm crimes is as follows:
- Third-Degree Crimes: illegal possession of a rifle, shotgun, air gun or spring gun. A conviction can result in three to five years in jail.
- Second-Degree Crimes: illegal possession of a machine gun, handgun, or assault weapon. A conviction can result in five to ten years in jail.
If you are facing a weapons charge in New Jersey, you will need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. Our firm will fight to reduce your charges and explore all possible avenues of defense.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.