Though the legalization of recreational marijuana use will be on the ballot in November, if you are someone who has recently been charged with a marijuana-related crime, there is a very good chance that you are now facing serious legal consequences as a result. There are few things more damaging to someone’s life than obtaining a criminal record, which is why our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney will fight, tooth-and-nail, to fight those charges. Please continue reading and give our knowledgeable firm a call today to learn more about marijuana-related charges in New Jersey, and how we can help you if you are facing them. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What happens if I am caught in the possession of marijuana in New Jersey?
If you have been arrested for the possession of marijuana in New Jersey, you can expect far more than a “slap on the wrist,” especially if you were caught with a large amount of the drug. The penalties for marijuana possession in New Jersey are as follows:
- 50 grams or less: This is a disorderly person penalty, for which you may spend up to 6 months in jail, and you may also face a $1,000 fine.
- More than 50 grams: If you are caught in possession of more than 50 grams of the drug, you may spend up to 1.5 years in jail, and face a potential $25,000 fine.
What happens if I am caught selling marijuana in New Jersey?
The state of New Jersey does not take the illegal sale of marijuana lightly. The consequences for selling marijuana in New Jersey are as follows:
- Less than 1 ounce: Up to 1.5 years of in jail, potential $25,000 fine
- More than 1 ounce, less than 5 pounds: Up to 5 years in jail, potential $25,000 fine
- Between 5-25 pounds: Up to 10 years of incarceration, potential $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds: Up to 20 years of incarceration, potential $300,000 fine
- Within 1,000 feet of a school or school bus: Up to 5 years of in jail, potential $150,000 fine
- To a pregnant woman or a minor: Potential sentence doubling
If you are someone who is drug charges in New Jersey, you must retain the services of an experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney who will aggressively fight, tooth-and-nail, for your rights. Our firm is here to help.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves in our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.