It is no secret that a criminal record can have a major impact on your life. For example, you may struggle when it comes to acquiring housing and certain loans. A record can also affect your custody arrangements, job prospects, and the opportunity to pursue higher education. Luckily, you may be eligible for expungement. The process of expungement effectively seals your criminal record. This allows you to live your life without the impacts of your record. That being said, your record is sealed, not erased. Additionally, certain members of law enforcement can still access your record. Read on to learn more about the process of expungement in New Jersey.
What crimes can be expunged?
You may be eligible to have your record expunged if you fall into one of the following categories:
- You were arrested but never charged with a crime.
- You were arrested for a juvenile offense.
- You have 3 or fewer disorderly persons convictions and one felony conviction.
- You have 4 disorderly persons offenses and 0 felonies.
What crimes cannot be expunged?
Unfortunately, in New Jersey, not every crime can be expunged from your record. Some of the crimes that are ineligible for expungement in the state of New Jersey include:
- Selling a controlled substance
- Aggravated sexual assault
What is the process of expungement?
The first step of the process is to meet with an experienced criminal defense attorney. From here, you and your attorney will need to:
- File the Petition for Expungement, the Order for Hearing, and the Expungement Order
- Write a cover letter detailing all of the documents the court will file
- Distribute copies of these files to any government agency that was involved in your case
- Attend the hearing to obtain a decision on the expungement petition
If you have a criminal record and you are interested in having your record expunged, our firm is here for you. We will advocate for you every step of the way. Reach out today to discuss your options with an experienced and dedicated criminal defense attorney.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.