Embezzlement charges can have serious consequences in New Jersey. Read on to learn more.
What is embezzlement?
Embezzlement is one of the most common white-collar crimes. Essentially, embezzlement refers to stealing or misappropriating funds from accounts for your personal gain.
What are the consequences of embezzlement?
The penalties you face will generally depend on the amount of money you have stolen. The penalties for embezzlement in New Jersey are as follows:
- For stolen property valued at less than $200: This is a disorderly persons offense, for which you may spend up to 6 months in jail, and you may face a $1,000 fine, or double the amount the alleged victim lost in the course of the theft.
- For stolen property valued between $200-$500: This is a fourth-degree crime, for which you may spend up to 18 months in prison, and you may face a fine of up to $10,000, or double the amount the alleged victim lost in the course of the theft.
- For stolen property valued between $500-$75,000: This is a third-degree crime, for which you may spend up to 5 years of incarceration, and you may face a fine of up to $15,000, or double the amount the alleged victim lost in the course of the theft.
- For stolen property valued at $75,000 or more: This is a second-degree crime, for which you may spend up to 10 years in prison, and face a fine of $150,000, or double the amount the alleged victim lost in the course of the theft.
What are potential defenses against embezzlement charges?
If you are facing charges of embezzlement, you will need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. An attorney may be able to have your charges lowered or even dropped, depending on the circumstances. Some common defenses against embezzlement charges include:
- Your mishandling the money was a misunderstanding. This is often the case for those tasked with managing elderly people’s funds.
- You did not realize or understand that you were unlawfully taking the property.
- You felt that you had reasonable, or even implied consent to take the property without asking permission.
If you are facing embezzlement charges, reach out to our firm right away. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your defense.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.