Unfortunately, in the wake of any tragic event, there are people who will take advantage. As a result, we have seen various types of theft, fraud, and other coronavirus-related crimes cropping up across the state of New Jersey, some of which are as follows:
- Price gouging: One of the most common forms of price gouging is gas stations astronomically increasing the price of their gas in the wake of a nature-related catastrophe because everybody needs it to power generators, etc. Now, since people need face masks, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, and other things of that nature, we are seeing more and more cases of price gouging regarding these materials. This is illegal.
- Fraudulent Medical Information: People are currently emailing others at random and claiming they are from the CDC stating that they have helpful information regarding the virus. Do not click these links, as oftentimes, they contain malware or another insidious software that allows them to steal your information.
- Charity scams: Many people are making calls under the false pretense that they are calling on behalf of a charity and need you to donate your money for testing kits, vaccine research, and more. Of course, there are real charities out there, however, if anyone asks you for cash over the phone, you can bet it is a fraudulent call.
- False Medical Bills: People are calling individuals, especially the elderly, and saying they are doctors, health insurers, or otherwise, and demanding the individual to give them money for medical bills regarding tests/treatment they may/may not have received. Do not give anyone money unless you are absolutely positive you know who they are.
- Fake medical products/equipment: Scammers all over the internet are currently selling fake medical supplies, as well as supposed “coronavirus cures.” There is not yet a cure for COVID-19, so do not purchase such a thing if you come across it.
If you are someone who is being wrongly charged or falsely accused of any of the aforementioned crimes, please do not hesitate to speak with our knowledgeable New Jersey criminal defense attorney today. Our firm is here to help you.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves in our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.