As children grow and learn, they make mistakes. Unfortunately, one of these mistakes may result in an underage DWI. Read on to learn more about underage DWI charges in New Jersey.
What constitutes an underage DWI?
In New Jersey, a driver over the age of 21 with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or above will likely face DWI charges. However, if an underage driver (below the age of 21), is pulled over with a BAC of just .01%, he or she can face serious consequences.
What are the penalties for an underage DWI in New Jersey?
The consequences of an underage DWI typically depend on your BAC and if there were any prior convictions. If you are underage and received your first DWI offense, you will likely face:
- 15 to 30 days of community service
- Completion of alcohol education programs at the Intoxicated
- Driver Resource Center
- Various fees and fines
- A driver’s license suspension between 30 and 90 days
DWI Defenses in New Jersey:
There are several defenses that can be used by those charged with a DWI. As a result, it is important to work with an experienced criminal defense attorney. An attorney may be able to have your charges reduced or even dropped. Some common defenses for an underage DWI include:
- Failure to abide by the 20-minute rule
- The initial traffic stop was conducted illegally by the law enforcement officer
- Issues with field sobriety tests
- The officer did not read all of the instructions, the officer did not demonstrate the test, the officer failed to inform you that you can remove your high heels
- You had health issues that hinder your capacity to successfully take the field sobriety test
If you are facing charges for an underage DWI, contact our firm today. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can begin building your defense.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.