If you have a license suspension due to a DUI or DWI, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorneys to learn more about your options and whether a hardship license is available to you. At Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC, we are prepared to fight for your rights and lessen your charges.
What is a hardship license?
A hardship license allows those who have a suspended or revoked license after being charged with a DUI to be able to drive to essential places. This license is typically used for individuals to get to work or school or to go to doctor’s appointments.
Can I receive a hardship license in New Jersey?
While many other states offer hardship licenses, New Jersey does not. A New Jersey driver who has lost their driving privileges is not permitted to drive until their rights have been restored. After a DUI or DWI, a driver may lose their license for a minimum of three months in the state of New Jersey.
What are the reasons for license suspensions?
There are many reasons why someone may lose their license in the state of New Jersey. The most common reasons for a license suspension include:
- DWI/DUI conviction
- Refusal to take a breathalyzer test
- Traffic offenses
- Mental or physical condition
- Failure to pay fines or court fees
- Failure to provide proof of motor vehicle insurance
- Abandoning a vehicle on a public highway
What are the penalties for driving with a suspended license in New Jersey?
The following are the possible punishments for driving with a suspended license in New Jersey:
- First Offense: Extension to a license suspension that cannot exceed six months and a fine of $500
- Second Offense: Possible imprisonment in the county jail for no longer than five days, possible extension of license suspension by up to six months, and a fine of $750
- Third Offense: 10 days in county jail, possible extension of license suspension for up to six months, and a fine of $1,000
If you were charged with a DWI or DUI in New Jersey, it is in your best interest to retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney for representation. Our firm is prepared to discuss your potential defense regarding your charges.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves on our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.