If you have ever been convicted of a crime, you most likely understand the pitfalls of having a criminal record. Fortunately, in many cases, depending on the crime, you can have your record and name cleared through expunction. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced New Jersey criminal defense attorney to learn more about how we can help you through the expunction process. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What crimes are ineligible for expungement?
There are various crimes that if convicted, you may not have them expunged from your record. Those crimes are, generally, as follows:
- Aggravated sexual assault
- Selling a controlled substance
How do I know if I qualify for an expungement?
To qualify for expungement, you will have to satisfy one of the following criteria:
- You were arrested for a crime, although you were never convicted for that crime
- You have received 3 or fewer disorderly persons convictions and a felony conviction. Or, in some cases, you may qualify for expungement if you have been convicted of a disorderly persons offense 4 times, though you were never convicted of a felony. That being said, in some situations, you may have your record expunged if you have received more than one felony. However, generally, you will need an experienced attorney on your side to help you get it.
- You may qualify for expunction if you have committed a juvenile offense (generally after three years).
What do I have to do to get my record expunged in New Jersey?
The first thing you will have to do is hire a New Jersey criminal defense attorney who can prove to the court that you truly deserve the expunction. Your attorney will provide the courts will documentation regarding the crimes you want to be expunged. From here, your attorney will write and submit a letter to the court detailing all documents you’ve filed with the court, as well as a Petition for Expungement. He will then provide the necessary government agencies with this information and attend a hearing on your behalf. As long as everything checks out, you should have the clean slate you’ve wanted for years.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Thomas DeMarco & Associates, LLC is an experienced Camden County criminal defense law firm located in Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey. We understand how potentially damaging a criminal can be, which is why we pride ourselves in our willingness to fight for our client’s rights. Our firm handles all criminal matters and is ready to provide you with our knowledgeable legal counsel. Do not hesitate to contact our firm to discuss your legal situation.